Global Engineering Ambassadors

Join us for our second cohort in Spring 2022!

Global Engineering Ambassadors are a diverse group of Grainger Engineering students who have studied abroad, participated in an international service learning or research project, or who are passionate about being a global citizen. Sponsored by International Programs in Engineering (IPENG,) Global Engineering Ambassadors help promote meaningful exchanges between fellow Grainger Engineering students and students from around the world.

Apply Here

Global Engineering Ambassadors must be culturally aware, interested in global engagements, passionate about developing and helping others develop cultural competencies, and willing to promote understanding around diversity and inclusion in the international setting.

Apply By: Closed for 2022

Applications open again in Fall 2022.

Have questions? Email IPENG at ipeng@illinois.edu.

Requirements

Becoming a Global Engineering Ambassador is a competitive process. Interested students must apply, provide a resume, and interview for the position.

Must commit to 2 semesters of service (including a second 8 week course during the spring and a first 8 week course in the fall)
Participate in or lead a minimum of 4 events per semester
Be available the week prior to class in the Fall to participate in the incoming exchange student orientation

Meet our Spring 2021 & Fall 2021 Global Engineering Ambassadors!

We asked them a bit about themselves and what it means to be a GEA.

Rose Carroll

Senior in Agricultural and Biological Engineering; Chicago, IL

I'm a senior studying Agricultural Engineering from Chicago. I studied abroad during my sophomore year spring semester in Madrid, Spain at ICAI - Comillas for a short period of time before COVID-19 sent me home. Before that, during my freshman year winter break, I participated in a winter program to Costa Rica to explore Agricultural and Environmental Systems.

Being a Global Engineering Ambassador allows me to learn about new cultures everyday. I have truly enjoyed the friendships I have made through this role, and I like to share the Illinois experience with exchange students to help make their time as memorable as possible.

Geitanksha Tandon

Sophomore in Computer Engineering; International Student

For me, being a Global Engineering Ambassador was an eye-opener: it gave me the opportunity to develop a more wholistic perspective as I made lifelong friends with students across the world. It gave me a platform to develop my cultural competencies, and helped me recognize the importance of being a global citizen. I truly love being a GEA!

Satyansh Yeluri

Sophmore in Computer Engineering; Oklahoma & Saudi Arabia

As a GEA, I got to meet and connect with other students from various countries. I was introduced to the different traditions, lifestyles, and music from their homelands while also welcoming them to the culture in the United States. From a barbecue to football games, and a trip to an apple orchard, I had a great time getting to know the exchange students. I'm excited to continue meeting new exchange students and learning about their cultures. I can't wait to travel abroad and experience them firsthand!

Giulia Barbieri

Senior in Civil and Environmental Engineering; Champaign, IL

Being a GEA has been a great experience this past semester. I've been able to meet exchange students from all over the world and help introduce them to my favorite parts of UIUC. At the same time, they've taught be so much about their home countries and the differences between there and life in the US. My favorite part is definitely being able to meet so many new, interesting people!

Grace Bailey

Senior in Materials Science and Engineering; Monticello, IL

I am from Monticello, IL and studies abroad during Spring  2020 at the University College of Dublin in Ireland. I chose to participate in GEA in order to build upon my skills as a global citizen and to continue improving my cultural competency. I also want to assist incoming international students and outgoing UIUC students in their study abroad journey so they have as smooth as a transition as possible.

I like being a GEA because I loved studying abroad and enjoy talking to exchange students and students who want to study abroad.

Arnav Sethi

Sophomore in Engineering; New Delhi, India

I am from New Delhi, India and while I haven't studied abroad I I have done a VSL project. The project was centered around learning about Bolivian Cultures and then ultimately partnering with a Bolivian NGO. I am open to studying abroad anywhere. I would be delighted to be exposed to any different culture. 7. I chose to participate in GEA as I believe engineering has no boundaries. I also find the influence of cultures in creating solutions very fascinating. For me it is interesting to see how different people can come up with multiple solutions for one single problem.

Isabella Moughal

Sophmore in Engineering; Chicago, IL

I am from Chicago, IL. I haven't had the opportunity to study abroad but If I'd be able to in the future one of the places that I would love to go to would be Spain. I would love to go to Spain so that I'd be able to practice my Spanish and so I'd be able to fully immerse myself in the culture. I chose to participate in Global Engineering Ambassadors because I want to help International students feel at home here at the University of Illinois. Apart from that I wanted to become more educated on the global aspect of engineering.