Upper Class Requirements
To obtain certification for being a James Scholar student in your upper class years (sophomore through senior), you must:
- Sophomores must meet with their departmental James Scholar adviser to discuss, create, and submit an honors contract.
- Maintain a 3.5 UIUC GPA.
- Take at least one course in support of your honors contract per academic year (fall or spring semesters only) until the contract is fulfilled. Sophomores may take one honors course or complete an Honors Credit Learning Agreement (HCLA) instead.
- Submit a detailed semester plan every fall and spring semester including your final undergraduate semester through the student James Scholar Portal.
- Satisfy additional James Scholar requirements specific to your department (ECE and CS have special requirements); contact your department for details.
- If Honors Contract activities or coursework are completed early: in any subsequent academic year (not calendar year), you must complete an honors course or HCLA in order to be certified, and receive the James Scholar mention on transcripts for that year.
If Honors Contract activities or coursework are not completed upon graduation, all previous certifications for the upper class James Scholar designation will be removed.