MEP Welcome Committee

Meet the members of this year's MEP Welcome Committee!

Anastasia Hernandez

Hi, I am currently a junior studying Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Game Studies and Design from Chicago, Illinois. I picked UIUC because it has an active minority community and programs imbedded to help break down some of the barriers that many minority students face.

Elisa Carrillo

Hello, I am a junior in Computer Science from Brooklyn, NY. My involvements around campus include Black, Indigenous, Latinos in Tech, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and AI@UIUC. I think MEP is special because we all want to win as a team.

Maximilian Elloye

Hi! My name is Maximilian Elloye, I'm a junior in Industrial Engineering with a minor in Hoeft Technology and Management. On campus, my involvements include National Society of Black Engineers, Volunteer Illini Projects, Illini Boxing. The greatest lesson I learned from MEP is that you are in college for yourself, not by yourself.

Christian Olivera

Hi, I'm Christian, a junior studying Mechanical Engineering from South Elgin IL. On campus, I'm involved in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and the Baja Car team. In my free time, I love to play volleyball, video games, and solve 3-D puzzles!

Cain Gonzalez

Hi, I'm a junior studying Computer Engineering. On campus I am a member of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and VR club. I really like to play video games, hang out with my friends, and create art.

Ella Greer

Hello, my name is Ella Greer. I am currently studying Aerospace Engineering. I am heavily involved with the National Society of Black Engineers on the Engineering Open House Committee. I currently work at Caterpillar at Research Park!

Santiago Leyva

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore in Civil Engineering. I picked Illinois because of the Engineering program and the location. I really like the atmosphere here and it’s been a place where I’ve gotten to thrive. On campus, I am an active member of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers.

Grant Lindsay

Hi! I am a junior majoring in Civil Engineering. I'm currently involved in the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE). I chose Illinois because of its ranking as an engineering school and because of MEP.

Ximena Castillo

Hello! I am a senior studying Mechanical Engineering. I was admitted to Grainger as Engineering Undeclared so feel free to reach out if you have any questions on how that process works! On campus, I am involved with MEP, SHPE, and Baja! In my free time, I like hanging out with friends, staying active, and baking cookies.

Isaiah Neal

Hello, I am a sophomore studying Mechanical Engineering. On campus, I am involved with National Society of Black Engineers and MecheSE MakerWorks.I picked Illinois because, during my senior year, I attended NSBE's spring High school visitation...If wasn't for NSBE, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Benidel Ntumba

I'm a junior in Civil and Environmental Engineering as well as a fellow of the Sustainability, Energy, and Environment Program.  On campus, I am involved with The National Society of Black Engineers. In my free time, I like to go to the gym, sleep, do photography, and spend time with friends. I also love playing UNO.

Adesuwa Osaghae

I am a junior studying Aerospace engineering with a minor in Computer Science. Through MEP, I have met others like me that are underrepresented in some way. But, being in MEP does not mean that being a minority is a crutch. It is a chance to uplift myself and those around me that may face the same challenges in society.

Roberto Romero

Hello, my name is Roberto Romero and I am a senior in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Elgin, IL. On campus I have taken part in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers as well as MEP. During my free time I like to go on drives, hang out with my friends, and build legos.

Elise Tejeda

Hi! I am currently a sophomore majoring in Material Science and Engineering. I am an active member in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers as well as Material Advantage. MEP is something I value greatly. It was one of the first communities I was introduced to and was immediately welcomed.

Luis Vasconez

Hi my name is Luis Vasconez and I am currently a Junior in Civil Engineering. I am part of Society of Professional Hispanics in Engineering (SHPE) where I am the Alumni communications lead and Illinois World Taekwondo. I chose Illinois due to its highly ranked Civil Engineering program.

Julius White

Hello! I am a junor majoring in Computer Science and Economics. Outside of class, I am an Admin in ACM SIGPwny, the premier cybersecurity club on campus, and I currently am working a co-op internship for State Farm in Research Park