Meet your EMBARK Volunteers!

Alexis

Computer Science

Hi, my name is Alexis! I'm a junior and first-generation student studying Computer Science. On campus, I'm involved in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). I enjoy playing tennis, listening to music, and learning new things! I'm very passionate about social impact, and I plan to use Computer Science to help others.

Anastasia

Mechanical Engineering

Hello, I'm a junior studying Mechanical Engineering from Chicago. On campus, I'm involved with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) and Baja SAE. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my dog, watching movies, and going on coffee runs with friends.

Andrea

Civil Engineering

My name is Andrea Nava, and I'm coming into my junior year as a Civil Engineering student. I love trying new restaurants around campus and going to the ARC. I'm super grateful for the support MEP has given me in my time here, so I'm excited to be able to return the favor and support other students!

Ashley

Bioengineering

Hi, my name is Ashley! I'm a Bioengineering major, and I'm also on the varsity Track and Field team. In my free time, I like to play golf and spend time with my friends and family.

Benidel

Civil Engineering

Hello, everyone! My name is Benidel, and I'm a rising junior majoring in Civil and Environmental Engineering, with a minor in Sustainability, Energy & Environment. On campus, I'm mainly involved in the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) as well as the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). Outside of school, I hang out with friends, go to the gym, listen to music, sleep, and spend time outdoors.

Carolina

Computer Science

Hello, my name is Carolina! I'm a sophomore majoring in Computer Science Engineering and a Delta Zeta. I enjoy going to the gym, baking and eating, and taking walks around campus! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Cheryl

Industrial Engineering

Hello! My name is Cheryl, and I'm from the suburbs of Chicago. I'm a sophomore majoring in Industrial Engineering, and in my free time, I enjoy learning new styles of dance as well as testing different baking recipes.

Elisa

Computer Science

Hi! My name is Elisa, and I'm a junior studying Computer Science at the University of Illinois. I'm a former Amazon and ServiceNow SDE Intern, and I'm a member of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE); Blacks, Indigenous, and Latinx in Tech (B[U]ILT), and Career Advancement Exchange. I love to code, try new places to eat, play volleyball, and create community!

Emmanuel

Computer Science

My name is Emmanuel, and I'm a third-year student majoring in Computer Science. My interests include dancing, racing, and basketball.

Emmanuel

Civil Engineering

My name is Emmanuel, but you can call me E-MAN. I love traveling to different places to gain new experiences, playing and talking about sports, and producing podcasts.

Ezequiel

Engineering Undeclared

My name is Ezequiel, and I come from Waukegan. I'm in my second year of becoming an engineer. I like playing video games, hanging out with friends, and going on night walks every now and then

Frida

Computer Science

I'm a first-generation Latina at the Grainger College of Engineering studying Computer Science. I was born and raised in Chicago, but I enjoy visiting Mexico to discover more about my heritage. I'm also passionate about basketball, and I'm constantly keeping up with NBA games

Grant

Civil Engineering

Hi, my name is Grant, and I'm a junior majoring in Civil Engineering and minoring in Materials Science. Around campus, I'm involved in the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the Flashpoint Photography Club. I also enjoy playing the saxophone and roller skating

Isaiah

Mechanical Engineering

Hi, my name is Isaiah, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I enjoy woodworking, playing video games, watching anime, playing and listening to music, and hanging out with friends. I'm involved with the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) and the MechSE MakerWorks Club.

Jasmine

Electrical Engineering

I'm an out-of-state student from Texas, and I'm very grateful for the community created here at UIUC. I'm an upcoming junior in Electrical Engineering, and I've been involved with the Morrill Engineering Program (MEP) since freshman year. I'm also this year's Treasurer for the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE). I'm looking forward to creating new memories with everyone at EMBARK!

Johan

Electrical Engineering

Hello, I'm Johan. I'm from the west side of Chicago and I'm currently a sophomore in Electrical Engineering. Some of my hobbies include bike riding, making origami, and messing around with electronics. I'm excited to meet you all and provide as much guidance as possible.

Josh

Systems Engineering and Design

Hello, my name is Joshua. I'm from Evanston, and I'm currently studying Systems Engineering and Design. I'm heavily involved with the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) on campus as the President. In my free time, I like to watch movies, play video games, and sleep!

Juan

Mechanical Engineering

I'm a senior in Mechanical Engineering and the water jet manufacturing lead for Off-Road Illini. I've also been a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) for all of my college career. I'm interested in sustainable energy and biomechanics.

Julius

Computer Science + Economics

Hello, everyone! I'm Julius, and I'm a Computer Science student here at Illinois. I love to play basketball, lift, and play video games. I'm very excited to meet you all and introduce freshmen to Grainger!

Katrina

Civil Engineering

Hello, I'm a freshman studying Civil Engineering from Waukegan. On campus, I'm involved with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) and the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). I like to spend my free time hanging out with my friends and watching movies.

Leo

Computer Engineering

My name is Leonardo, and I'm a senior in Computer Engineering. I'm also minoring in Physics and Philosophy. On the side, I love playing video games and volleyball. Go Illini!

Lizet

Civil Engineering

I'm Lizet, a first-generation Latina sophomore studying Civil and Environmental Engineering. I have leadership experience in numerous projects, and I have studied abroad. I'm active in the Morrill Engineering Program (MEP), the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), and the Illinois Solar Decathlon (ISD). I'm also passionate about mentoring underrepresented students and promoting diversity in engineering.

Luis

Civil Engineering

Hello, my name is Luis, and I just finished my second year as a Civil and Environmental Engineering student. While writing this, I am in Valencia, Spain where I spent the second semester of my sophomore year. At UIUC, I was involved in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) where I was part of the high school outreach committee, treasury committee, and external team. Outside of school, I like to hang out with friends, try new activities, and spend time outdoors.

Maritza

Mechanical Engineering

Hi! I'm a senior from Elgin studying Mechanical Engineering. On campus, I'm involved with MEP, Engineering Ambassadors, and my sorority, Sigma Lambda Gamma! In my free time, I like to travel, cook delicious Mexican dishes, and stay active—whether it be hitting the gym or doing gymnastics..

Saliyah

Civil Engineering

Hi! My name is Saliyah, and I'm a sophomore from Chicago, majoring in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I'm a part of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), and In Living Color on campus. Outside of school, I like watching TV shows, drawing, painting, thrifting, and doing arts and crafts. Welcome to the University of Illinois!

Sophia

Bioengineering

Hi, my name is Sophia and I'm studying Bioengineering! On campus, I'm involved in the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), and I'm a tutor in the Center for Academic Resources in Engineering (CARE). Outside of classes, I enjoy long-distance runs, reading, music, hanging out with friends, and finding the best brew of coffee on campus!

Tj

Engineering Undeclared

I'm a 2nd-year Engineering student who is a part of Academic Redshirt in Science and Engineering (ARISE) under the Morrill Engineering Program (MEP). I was raised in Chicago and graduated in St. Charles, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Zachary

Mechanical Engineering

Hi, my name is Zachary, and I'm a Junior studying Mechanical Engineering. I'm involved in the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), and this is my first semester back from studying abroad in Paris. Feel free to reach out to me for anything!