ENG 101 ELAs

Meet your ENG 101 ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

David Cruz Lopez

Senior, Engineering Physics
dcruz24@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AD1

What has been your favorite quarantine activity?
Going to the gym

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
HIST 142. It was nice to take a break from my STEM class and learn about western civilization history.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Studying abroad, astrophysics research, or STEM outreach.

Tell us more about yourself!
- I did astrophysics research with the undergraduate research office.

- My favorite place to eat is Cravings. It's my go to place when I'm at the library.

Mary Cate Foley

Junior, Mechanical Engineering
marycf2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AD2

Bio Coming Soon!

Bio Coming Soon!

Colleen Moauro

Senior, Materials Science and Engineering
cmoauro2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AD3

I love cooking, so I have been trying to cook/bake different recipes. I am also vegan, so I have been pushed to get creative with my recipes and try things I have never tried before. A few of the recipes I have perfected include falafel, sweet potato brownies, carrot cake, and tofu scramble (a vegan version of scrambled eggs).

My favorite class freshman year was MSE 182: Introduction to MatSE. I was in the Undeclared Engineering Program and wanted to explore the engineering fields outside of Eng 101. The class helped me see the world differently by splitting everything into types of materials with distinct properties. You learn about many technologies and how they utilize materials science.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Studying Abroad or Materials Advantage (the social society for the Materials Science and Engineering Department).

Tell us more about yourself!
- I recommend that everyone join October-Lovers club. It is the biggest RSO on campus, only takes place in the month of October, and is simply a club that hosts a lot of Fall-based activities. They have a big bonfire, barn dance, apple-picking trip, and more. I also recommend volunteering to usher at Krannert Center for Performing Arts. In this role, you are able to help the community and see some pretty amazing shows for free.

- I studied abroad my Sophomore Spring 2019 semester in Madrid, Spain at Comillas.

- I interned at GE Aviation working on ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) during the summer after Sophomore year. I was also going to intern at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) this summer, but it has been deferred to next summer due to COVID-19.

Ramil Dalangin

Junior, Mechanical Engineering
red4@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AD4

My favorite quarantine activity has been working out at home with my siblings.

My favorite class freshman year was definitely ME 170 because it was the first time I have ever had experience with CAD, and I really enjoyed using it to create a 3D-printed model.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Working for Campus Recreation or being a learning assistant.

Tell us more about yourself!
- I won a world championship title in taekwondo in 2012.

- My favorite place to eat on campus is Sakanaya, which is a sushi restaurant on Green St. This was the first place I have ever eaten sushi, and I fell in love with it ever since.

- I landed an internship with a company called GamePlay Inc, which is an app meant to facilitate the process of finding playing fields and having organized sports games. I find facilities and take their measurements to help create a framework for their app development.

Andrew Herschberg

Senior, Engineering Physics and Nuclear Plasma and Radiological Engineering
ach3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AD5

Stock trading because the market has been super volatile and I have had nothing but time to learn the ins and outs of the market. There has never been a better time to buy in than now!

My favorite class I took Freshman year was PHYS 225: Relativity and Math Applications. This was the first class to open up my eyes to how unusual and mind-bending physics can truly be.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Physics graduate school, plasma or general physics, or if you have any questions about the Physics or NPRE departments.

Tell us more about yourself!
- Fun Fact: I do not meet the height clearance for parking garages in some major cities (I'm 6' 7", and no, I don't play basketball)

- Since freshman year I have worked on campus at the Center for Plasma-Material Interactions (CPMI). I have learned an immense amount from the hands-on experiences of solving real-world issues with cutting-edge plasma engineering. I am currently working on the lab's atmospheric plasma torch for use in industry.

- While I was unable to secure an internship this summer due to COVID-19, last summer I worked at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) as a part of the Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI). This was an amazing experience that allowed me to further explore the field of plasma physics, while working at the largest plasma laboratory in the nation. My project was analyzing the temperature evolution of evaporative lithium coatings within the LTX-B fusion experiment. The results found in this project led to an increase in reactor efficiency after partial vents of the reactor or extended non-operational periods.

Nick Gustafson

Senior, Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering
nrg4@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BD1

Bio Coming Soon!

Bio Coming Soon!

Blake Robert Cedergren

blakerc2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BD3

Being with family has been really wonderful. As I continue practicing piano and reading books, they've been an excellent audience for my piano playing and wonderful participants in literature discussion.

I took a class called "Wilderness in the Ancient World" (GCL 128). It was a stimulating temporal exploration of the human relationship with nature.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Sustainability, Study Abroad, Bee Campus USA, or Jazz

Tell us more about yourself!
- UIUC is a member of "Bee Campus USA", which means that we provide a friendly habitat for our little pollinator friends! "From the Ground Up" is an RSO on campus that manages Bee Campus, native prairie restoration, and community environmental education. I happen to be an active member if you are interested in getting involved!

- I studied abroad in Valencia, Spain. I took engineering classes in Spanish and loved them all; during my time abroad I was so fortunate to find myself surrounded by such a beautiful world.

- As I consider graduate school, my on-campus research opportunity has been an excellent way to determine whether it suits me. I am a part of a group researching different polymerization methods that will hopefully be more environmentally friendly.

- Although I love the entire campus, I sure do spend a lot of time at Caffe Paradiso!

Javier Montaño Pulido

Senior, Civil & Environmental Engineering
javierm3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BD4

Definitely learning about Python. I had previously learned the basics of Java but never had the chance to learn Python in school, so I decided to dedicate some of my time during the quarantine to teaching myself Python. It’s a very cool computer language!

My favorite class freshman year was Theater 101. It was an easy elective that allowed me to take my mind off the difficult engineering classes. The assignments were interesting and the class allowed me to explore topics outside of my major. I even went to a few plays at the Krannert Center.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Engineers Without Borders, Greek Life, or CEE

Tell us more about yourself!
- A fun fact about me is that I have a multicultural family. My dad is Mexican, my mom is Colombian, and I am Venezuelan!

- I’ve had one study abroad experience and it is one of my favorite memories of all of college. I went to Ecuador with the UIUC Chapter of Engineers Without Borders to work on a water distribution project. It was very interesting and extremely rewarding.

- Here are some must-do freshman activities: go to a football and/or basketball game, get late night food at PAR, take a class in Foellinger Auditorium, and visit the main library stacks!

Molly Day

Junior, Civil and Environmental Engineering
mollyed2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BD5

Zooming with my friends!

RST 180 because it allowed me to travel with some of my best friends and explore my interests outside of engineering!

Contact me if you are interested in...
Working as an I-STAR, which is what the tour guides on campus are called, or if you're wondering how to balance club sports and engineering!

Tell us more about yourself!
- Fun fact: I can juggle and unicycle, but I can't do them at the same time yet!

- My freshman year I tried a few club sports, and I still play on the club hockey team, it's a blast!

Jessy Chtilianova

Junior, Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering
jjc8@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section FD1

Bio Coming Soon!

Bio Coming Soon!

Taylor Flowers

Junior, Industrial Engineering
taylorf3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section FD2

My favorite quarantine activity has been playing tennis.

My favorite class I took my freshman year was FR 156, Exploring Paris. It was fun to see art, movies, and read literature from Paris to learn about the city's history and culture.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Greek Life, Research in Engineering, Illinithon, or Volunteering

Tell us more about yourself!
- I had a great experience with an on-campus research project. We researched a way to create an ablative heat shield in space through additive manufacturing. It was very fun and interesting to work on a project outside of my classes, and I definitely recommend doing research.

- Some of my favorite experiences from freshman year include going to Curtis Orchard, playing intramural sports, and going to Spring Jam!

Vica Otrubina

Senior, Civil and Environmental Engineering
votrub2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section FD3

Roller blading!!!

ATMS 201. It was the first time I really got to apply everything I learned in math, physics, and chemistry in the real world!

Contact me if you are interested in...
Theta Tau Professional Engineering Fraternity, Undergraduate Research, Volunteering, LA/CA-ships

Tell us more about yourself!
- I've been a part of three different research groups during my time in college! As an engineer, being the first one to discover something is incredibly fascinating and rewarding and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

- My favorite spot on campus: The roof of Krannert is incredible for watching sunsets with friends.

Jose Hernandez

Junior, Mechanical Engineering
jhern204@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section FD4

My favorite quarantine activity has been playing basketball and soccer with my little brother!

My favorite class was ME170 because I got to learn how to use PTC Creo and it was the first course in which I got to work on an engineering design project with a team!

Contact me if you are interested in...
SHPE, CARE tutoring, LinkedIn/resume help, or the aerospace industry!

Tell us more about yourself!
- My dream is to become an astronaut

- I joined the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers during my first semester! I'm currently the Internal Vice President and the reason I have been involved for so long is because it's made the biggest contribution to campus feeling like a home away from home for me. We also do a great job of providing opportunities for academic, professional, and leadership development!

- My favorite place to eat on campus is definitely Maize! The carne asada is my go-to!

- I am currently interning as a Structural Design Engineering intern at Boeing.

Sita Jothishankar

Senior, Computer Science
slj2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section FD5

My favorite quarantine activities have been learning how to knit, paint, and doing Chloe Ting workout challenges!

One of my favorite classes freshman year was CS 100 - Freshman Orientation. I was new to CS and this class gave me insight into the different fields within CS.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Society of Women Engineers and Undergraduate Research

Tell us more about yourself!
- I went to boarding school from 2nd to 8th grade in India!

- I worked with a professor from the Communications department to develop an R shiny app to help him better view his data.

- My favorite place to eat on campus is Bangkok Thai.

- Although I did not have an internship my freshman year, I interned at Jackson Hewitt my sophomore year, and I am interning at Liberty Mutual this year as a junior.