Aerospace Engineering ELAs

Meet your Aerospace Engineering ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

Shivani Ganesh

Senior, Aerospace Engineering
ssg3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE1

What has been your favorite quarantine activity?
Cooking with my family! My brother is an amazing chef, and he's taught me some key recipes that have made me step up my game. I'm prepped for all the post-pandemic potlucks!

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
While ENG 100 is definitely up there, I absolutely adored ASTR 121: Solar Systems and Worlds Beyond. It had a caring professor, invigorating material, and new ways of seeing astronomy. I would recommend to any stellar student!

Contact me if you are interested in...
volunteering with space exploration educational outreach, teaching in different capacities, working on high-powered rocketry, and human spaceflight and aviation!

Tell us more about yourself!
- I have road-tripped through 27 states thus far and hope to hike in all 62 U.S. National Parks within my lifetime.

- I dove headfirst into the Illinois Space Society freshmen year, and this group has profoundly shaped my identity as an engineer and STEM advocate. From high-powered rocketry to educational outreach, I've been able to grow my technical skill set, set up the right foundation for subsequent internships, give back to the Chambana community, and become the best of friends with the wonderful aerospace nerds around me.

- My favorite thing to do/eat in CU is Jurassic Grill, specifically the T-Rex Cheeseburger with Cajun fries on the side. It's an institution as formative as the University of Illinois itself.

Andy Song

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
cs29@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE2

My favorite activity has been finally getting around to working out regularly. Now that I sit at home all day, there is no excuse for me to not work out.

My favorite class so far was the CAD course. While us Aerospace Engineering students take similar classes to other engineering majors up until junior year, I noticed that CAD is a skillset that sets me apart from my peers.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Software Engineering, being on a course staff, or good running routes on campus!

Tell us more about yourself!
- I'm heavily involved with soccer on campus.

- A must-do freshman activity: Go eat at PAR late night.

- My favorite thing to do/eat in CU: I love trying to make really complicated dishes with friends on weekends!

Christopher Guerra

Senior, Aerospace Engineering
cguerra2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE3

With social distancing closing a lot of places down, I've recently gotten back into fishing. I fish a lot of local lakes for small and largemouth bass as well as other common fish in Illinois.

My favorite class from fresman year was AE 100! I thought it was really cool exploring what AE at Illinois has to offer, but by far the best part was designing and making our gliders and rockets! Did they work? Haha... No. Did I learn from it and have fun? You bet!

Contact me if you are interested in...
Getting involved in different ways outside of engineering academics. From getting involved with campus tours to the university's billiards club, I'd be happy to help with any questions you have!

Tell us more about yourself!
- One thing I never really knew about until the end of my freshman year was the existence of the stacks in the main library! The University of Illinois library system is one of the largest university library systems in the country and has recently added the 14-millionth volume to its collections. Definitely something cool to check out your first year here, it's amazing to be surrounded by such a massive variety of materials!

- Another cool thing in Champaign-Urbana is the Urbana Sweetcorn Festival. It takes place just before the school year starts, so it's a great off-campus event to explore with friends!

Gianna Ciaglia

Senior, Aerospace Engineering
gmc2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE4

While in quarantine, I have spent a lot time working out and baking brownies.

My favorite class freshman year was Italy Middle Ages and Renaissance (CWL 240). The Professor was super sweet and I learned a lot about the literature and art of that time. This included the statue of David and you did not need to know Italian to take the class.

Contact me if you are interested in...
learning more about AOE (The Female Engineering Sorority), being a teaching Assistant, or working with Women in Aerospace on outreach projects to the surrounding community of younger students!

Tell us more about yourself!
- Fun fact: I spent quarantine and the summer in Colorado.

- My favorite thing to do/eat in CU: I love hanging out with my friends out and about in downtown Champaign

- My favorite spot on campus is hammocking on the main quad.

- Freshman year I found the career fair intimidating but after practicing for it with my friends, I found it really easy to talk to recruiters.

Emily Williams

Senior, Aerospace Engineering
emilyjw2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE5

Getting my words per minute up to 121

ENG 100 because I discovered the value in developing a support network and establishing a community within the department and the college

Contact me if you are interested in...
doing undergraduate research, being on the executive board of an RSO, going to grad school, being a teaching assistant, or getting an internship in the aerospace industry

Tell us more about yourself!
- I joined the Satellite Development Organization and Women in Aerospace first semester of my freshmen year and was president of both last year.

- I do research on campus in hypersonics and computational aerodynamics.

- I interned with GE Aviation the summer after my freshman year, and I worked for Boeing this past summer doing design automation.

Elena Kamis

Super-Senior, Aerospace Engineering
ekamis2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE6

Doing anything D&D related, creating figurines, building characters, prepping campaigns, etc.

Viking Mythology! Taking something entirely outside of my major but in a subject I knew nothing about was so much fun. I am now a huge Viking Myth/History buff and it's all due to that class.

Contact me if you are interested in...
The Illinois Space Society, The Brooke Owens Fellowship, engineering greek life, or volunteering in the local community.

Tell us more about yourself!
- An RSO I joined freshman year that I'm still a part of is Illinois Space Society. As a freshman I started as the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS) Representative and later that year took on the role of Engineering Council (EC) Rep. Since then I've been nonstop involved doing the High Altitude Ballooning (HAB) project and competing and RASCAL 2018. I've also been Educational Outreach Director, Senior Advisor to Ed Out, Illinois Space Day (ISD) Chair, and I'm now the Social Media manager! I've loved every second of being a part of this group.

- My favorite spot on campus to study is the Altgeld Math Library. It feels like something out of a different world. Now make it December, it's snowing outside, you're sitting among the books, wearing a huge scarf, and listening to an ambient Christmas sound track, and you've fully entered my favorite physical and mental state to be on campus. It's truly a great place that not many know about.