Materials Science and Engineering ELAs

Meet your Materials Science and Engineering ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

Shiv Tailor

Senior, Materials Science and Engineering
stailor2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section MS1

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
My favorite class I took as a freshman was MSE 182. Professor Huang kept us engaged with live demonstrations and real-world examples when teaching us about material properties. We explored a wide variety of material types and learned a great deal about everything around us. The class confirmed I wanted to pursue a degree in Material Science, and it's where a lot of my friendships began.

Contact me if you are interested in...
short-term study abroad, business minors, internships, research, electronic materials, Material Advantage, Keramos, or Engineering Council.

Tell us more about yourself!
Bangkok Thai is always the way to go. No question.

Attend Holi at the Arboretum! I went for the first time last year and it was one of the highlights of my entire college experience. There's music, dancing, and more colored powder than you can imagine. Whether you celebrate or not, I highly recommend going at least once. The event is annual, so you can go after freshman year too!

Alice Gao

Junior, Materials Science and Engineering
alicezg2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section MS3

MSE 182 or MSE 183 because 1) the professor for 182 is amazing and 2) it was helpful to get to know people in my major. I really liked 183 as well because it was my first hands-on engineering project experience in college and it was a lot of fun to exhibit it at Engineering Open House!

Contact me if you are interested in...
ice skating, materials research (internships or on campus)

Tell us more about yourself!
I went to London for 10 days as a short term study abroad course which was super fun.

As a townie, I recommend going to Curtis Orchard and Jarlings at once while you're here. Also the restaurants on and around Green street and honestly some of the best food in CU so explore those.

Hayden Gantt

hgantt2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section MS4

My favorite class from freshman year was IE 300. Besides being a really interesting class (especially since I'd never taken a statistics class before), Professor Chrys is one of the most amazing professors I've had on campus so far. He's so passionate, helpful, and an incredible instructor.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Engineering Council

Tell us more about yourself!
I can eat a whole box of Cheerios (normal) in one day

I've been on Engineering Council since freshman year, first as the EFC Service Chair and then the EC Service Chair. It's been a great way to meet people from all across the college and have a ton of fun!

Nicole Bremner

bremner4@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section MS5

PHYS100 because it was a great way to review the physics that I had took in high school, without the added on stress of taking PHYS211 first semester of freshman year. It really helped me solidify the concepts I was unsure about and helped me succeed in my future physics classes!

Contact me if you are interested in...
contact me if you are interested in Greek Life, Material Advantage, Keramos, or Engineering Open House!

Tell us more about yourself!
I have my scuba diving license and love the ocean /marine life.

My favorite place to eat is Sushi Ichiban.