Civil and Environmental Engineering ELAs

Meet your Civil and Environmental Engineering ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

Sarah Dzieza

Senior, Civil and Environmental Engineering
sdzieza2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE1

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
SE 101 was my favorite class that I took freshman year because I really enjoyed the final project. Our final project that year was to design and create a house in Revit that fit a specific client's needs, which was really creative and fun to design.

Contact me if you are interested in...
SWE or being an RA

Tell us more about yourself!
- I play golf!

- During freshman year, I joined the community service committee on the Society of Women Engineers and its been a really great experience that I am still apart of today. We do a lot of fun activities and volunteering events on our committee. It's a great way to meet more people, in general, and especially in engineering!

- My favorite spot on campus is the tables by the fountain outside the Union. I think this is a really great spot to do work when it is nice outside.

Chloe Fess

chloef2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE1

My favorite class I took my freshman year was SE 101. It was the first course to apply visualization skills and engineering software through structured curriculum and creative freedom for the final group project.

Contact me if you are interested in...
being an ambassador for CEE department or Volunteering at local animal shelter

Tell us more about yourself!
A "must-do" freshman activity is to connect with others in your class through freshman activities Grainger College of Engineering offers at the beginning of the semester.My favorite spot on campus is the Civil & Environmental Engineering Building (CEE Building) because of the natural light and right next to all my classes.

Alice Teixeira

Junior, Civil and Environmental Engineering
alicelt2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE2

My favorite class I took Freshman year was SE101. It was a challenging course due to the amount and detail oriented assignments, but very interesting and Civil Engineering specific. From that course, I was able to gain experience with Autodesk Revit, creating my own project of a house, as well as better understanding how to read project plans. SE101 also helped me with my professional development and sketching skills.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Greek Life, Business, being a teaching assistant, SWE, the Environmental side of CEE, the HOEFT Technology and Management Minor, Business Professional Fraternities, Energy & Utilities Consulting

Tell us more about yourself!
Fun fact about be is that I have lived in 5 different countries.

A must-do freshman activity has to be going to Quad Day and getting to know about as many RSOs as you feel interested in. There are so many opportunities at uiuc and Quad day is a great event to get to know them

My favorite thing to do in CU has to be going for runs around the Arboretum or grabbing some coffee at Caffe Paradiso.

Yatri Sutaria

yatris2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE2

ACE 251 - The World Food Economy. This class was about the global supply and demand for food. It was a topic that I did not know a lot about before I took that class, so it was interesting to learn about and has helped me understand global events through a different lens.

Contact me if you are interested in...
learning more about studying abroad or getting involved in SWE or EWB!

Tell us more about yourself!
I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia in the Spring 2023 semester. I really loved it - I got to explore a lot of beautiful places and meet new people. It was also a good experience academically. I took a lot of technical courses, so it was cool to see the material I study through the lens of a different country's culture, environment, and priorities. I also became more confident in relying on myself and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. A study abroad semester can take a lot of effort to plan and prepare for, but for me, it was more than worth it.

Emma Velkme

evelkme2@illinois.edu| LinkedIn | Section CE3

SE 101, I enjoyed learning how to sketch objects properly, because it was a very methodical process. In addition, the main project allowed me to be creative and design a house for a specific client, which is something I enjoyed spending my time on.

Contact me if you are interested in...
rushing Theta Tau, getting involved in club sports, or want a new study spot on campus

Tell us more about yourself!
The next thing on my bucket list is to go skydiving!

Freshman year I joined a professional engineering fraternity, Theta Tau, which continues to have a large positive impact on my college experience.

My favorite restaurant on campus is a tie between Shawarma Joint and Maize.

Mackenzie Kraft

mckraft2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE3

My favorite class was SE 101 because I loved using Revit and seeing the building I was modelling come to life.

Contact me if you are interested in...
joining Illinois Solar Decathlon, Greek Life, or if you have any questions regarding the DRES services

Tell us more about yourself!
The club I am most involved in is Illinois Solar Decathlon (ISD). This is an international competition run by the DOE in which we compete to build a net zero sustainable house. I am on the construction management team and have greatly enjoyed the hands-on experience ISD has given me.

As a freshman I recommend exploring all of the buildings on campus! My favorite thing is to go into random buildings to find cool little study spots. I did this freshman year and discovered that my favorite building to study in is the Mechanical Engineering Building.

Abby Culloton

5th Year, Civil and Environmental Engineering
alc7@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE4

My favorite class freshman year was ENG 177 Global Sustainability Scholars. This class included a study abroad trip to Costa Rica to learn about sustainability initiatives in a local community there, then we worked to implement our own sustainability projects upon returning to campus.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Society of Women Engineers (SWE), sustainability on campus, mental health resources, and where the best coffee shops are

Tell us more about yourself!
A fun fact about me is that I've climbed a glacier in Iceland!

My favorite thing to in CU is hang out at cafes in downtown Champaign, especially The Literary and Cafe Kopi!

Sam Linares

linares8@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE4

My favorite class I took my freshman year was LLS220, it was a class for my gen-ed and I learned a significant amount about how generation of Latinxs have migrated to the U.S. . It was eye-opening on how immigration patterns can vary across countries, and how migration has shaped U.S. relations.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Contact me if you are interested in an International Engineering minor, Spanish minor, Greek Life, or iSEE

Tell us more about yourself!
I have more than 100 first cousins!

I became an Intern for iSEE my freshman year I've learned a significant amount about the sustainability initiatives around campus, and have become involved with promoting the greener chapter program to the Panhellenic Council here at UIUC to help get chapters Green Certified.

My favorite study spots are the 4th floor of CIF or the ideaLab in Grainger, or even the room in the union with all the portraits (the art gallery). But I also really like the new Expresso Royal by the Bookstore.

Michael Cano

mcano9@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE5

My favorite class that I took freshman year was SE 101. From learning how to free hand draw geometric shapes to learning Autodesk Revit, I really enjoyed all of the technical skills that this class taught me. The thing I enjoyed most about this class was getting to use of all of the skills that I learned to design my own home. Turning in my final home design was extremely rewarding, and was the first time I really felt like I was an engineer.

Contact me if you are interested in...
joining SHPE (The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) or ASCE ( The American Society of Civil Engineers)

Tell us more about yourself!
I am fluent in Spanish.

I would say a 'must-do' freshman activity is attending Quad Day. Getting involved with different RSO's on campus is an easy and exciting way to meet new people and gain new experiences. Seeing the entire campus in one place is also a surreal feeling, and one of my first personal memories of being on campus.

My favorite place to eat in CU is Watson's Shack and Rail. It is some of the best fried chicken I have ever had!

Riley Kelch

rjkelch2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE5

My favorite class was SE101. That class had a really fun project working with a team in SketchUp and Revit to design a building. It gave me a good taste of what was to come for me in my civil engineering experience.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Engineers Without Borders, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), pursuing a minor, internships

Tell us more about yourself!
I joined Engineers Without Borders (EWB) as a freshman and am still involved now as a project lead for the Malawi Structures Project. Though EWB has definitely exposed me to many technical aspects of engineering, such as an understanding of bridge design, EWB has also allowed me to make many new friends that share an interest in implementing projects with a real-world impact.

Best place to eat for me is Jip Bap! I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it before.

Carlie Olsen

ceolsen2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE6

MATH 257- Linear algebra with computational applications was my favorite class freshman year! I liked this class because it was a nice change of pace from doing calculus and the computational applications had relevant connections to real life!

Contact me if you are interested in...
Greek Life, Engineering Council, American Society of Civil Engineers, or getting a business minor!

Tell us more about yourself!
I joined Engineering Council my freshman year on a whim, and I am still involved as the Awards Director and as an EXPO committee member! I like being able to interact with different engineering majors across the college as well as serve the hard-working students of Grainger.

Joseph Fraterrigo

jlf4@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE6

As a freshman, my favorite class was the Project Based Introduction to CEE (now known as CEE 190). The class opened my eyes to the different career paths within CEE and taught me my favorite definition of engineering: problem-solving.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Greek Life or if you need help finding different ways to feel involved on campus

Tell us more about yourself!
A fun fact about me is that if I were not an engineer, I would likely pursue a career teaching calculus at a high school level.

As a freshman, I joined a social fraternity and have since been very active in my chapter. I have many positive things to say about my experiences that include social, professional, and philanthropic aspects of Greek Life at UIUC.

Lily Cozzi

lrcozzi2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE7

SE 101 because I loved working with Revit to express my creativity to meet the clients' needs for their house. I felt like I was working on an HGTV show!

Contact me if you are interested in...
studying abroad or if you have any questions about adjusting to life as a newfound college student!

Tell us more about yourself!
I studied abroad in Dublin and absolutely loved it! I made so many great memories with so many great people! At first, I did not expect to study abroad with the engineering course load, but IPENG does a great job of accommodating. If that is something you are genuinely interested, you can make that happen!My favorite place on campus is The Bridge! It's a great location and pretty spot to study and catch up with CivE friends in between classes."

Nathan Finkelshteyn

nff2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE7

SPAN 320 - Spanish Cultural Studies. I learned a ton about Spain as a country - everything from soccer to Zara to architecture - which significantly increased how bad I want to travel there sometime!

Contact me if you are interested in...
connecting with CEE companies at ASCE, applying to a part-time job at Research Park, or navigating the MTD bus system on campus

Tell us more about yourself!
I got to go to Panama this winter with the Global Leaders in Construction Management Program to learn about some of the most monumental construction projects in the world.

One of my favorite things to do are to go to UIUC Volleyball games- they are super fun! Lots of energy from the Illini student section and usually an exciting, fast-paced match.

Jesse Ekanya

jekanya2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE8

Econ 103

Contact me if you are interested in...
joining ITE, ASCE and NSBE

Tell us more about yourself!
My favorite study spot is CIF, it's a refreshing study environment.

A must-do is to go the basketball games. The atmosphere is second to none.

Maddie Kats

mnkats2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE8

SE 101 because I really enjoyed learning a new skill like Revitt

Contact me if you are interested in...
ASCE (American society of civil engineers)

Tell us more about yourself!
My favorite spot on campus is the hydro systems bridge (it's got great views and really nice seating)

Explore campus and walk in all of the different buildings, it's so cool to see what UIUC has to offer!

Bruce Moore

brucem2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE9

SE 101. This class gave me excellent applicable experience with Building Information Modeling (Building design software) as well as old school paper and pencil drafting. I enjoyed learning these concepts because I can easily see how I might use them later in my career.

Contact me if you are interested in...
skiing or snowboarding

Tell us more about yourself!
Fun Fact: I can unicycle and solve a rubiks cube simultaneously!

I have been involved in Concrete 3D printing research.

Matthew Ross

mjross2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CE9

My favorite class was Physics: Mechanics because they performed small demonstrations during lectures and taught many interesting concepts.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Steel Bridge, Rowing, or being a course assistant

Tell us more about yourself!
I joined Illini Rowing freshman year and now serve as the treasurer for the team. We meet early in the morning and row on Clinton Lake in Farmer City. It is a worthwhile experience and I have made so many new friends from it.

Additionally, I joined the Steel Bridge team and learned how to fabricate and weld steel so I could create a 20-foot bridge that withstands 2500 lbs. Currently, I am the fabrication captain of Steel Bridge.