Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering ELAs

Meet your Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

Efren Rodrigo Guerrero

Senior, Chemical Engineering
efrenrg2@illinois.edu| LinkedIn | Section CH1

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
Calculus II because all of my friends were in it and I was able to work on it in person cooperatively. 

Contact me if you are interested in...
Engineers in Action Bridge Program or Undergraduate Research in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering

Tell us more about yourself!
Spanish is my language learning hobby, and I have been to Mexico and Spain on add off for the past ten years. I am in the Dr. Rodriguez-Lopez lab where I work with glycerol oxidation to produce in demand industrial products.

Megan Shamsi

Senior, Chemical Engineering
mshamsi3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CH3

My favorite class I took freshman year was CHEM 202 (general chemistry). I didn't have a lot of experience with chemistry before that, and it was very difficult for me at first. This class was what made me realize I wasn't in high school anymore and led me to adjust my study habits accordingly. The professor (Dr. DeCoste) was amazing and really taught me how to solve problems and think critically. I credit this class with preparing me for all of the coursework I've taken since then.

Contact me if you are interested in...
American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), Society of Women Engineers (SWE), undergraduate research, or being a teaching assistant

Tell us more about yourself!
My fun fact is that I'm a fraternal twin!

I joined the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) my freshman year and am still a part of the organization. I've held an officer position for 3 years now and still love attending the meetings, mentorship events, and professional development events we put on each semester.

My favorite spot on campus is definitely the Quad -- when it's nice out, it's so relaxing to sit out there with friends.

Bridget Friel

Senior, Chemical Engineering
bfriel2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CH4

CHEM 203 was my favorite class I took freshman year. It was my first of many chemistry lab courses I have taken here at UIUC. I loved learning about the chemistry in a lecture setting and then getting to apply these concepts directly in a hands-on manner.

Contact me if you are interested in...
REACT, Chemical Engineering Research, Internships in Renewable Energy

Tell us more about yourself!
I have been inside the nacelle of a wind turbine!

My freshman year I joined REACT, which stands for Reaching and Educating America's Chemists of Tomorrow. REACT is an outreach organization that organizes classroom visits and special visits at schools in the local Champaign-Urbana area. Our visits consist of demonstrations lead by our volunteers and experiments for the kids to get involved in.

Isabel Runne

Senior, Chemical Engineering
irunne2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CH5

SOC 160, Global Inequality and Social Change. It was very interesting and provided a good world view.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Crocheting & Knitting, being a Teaching Assistant, Tour Guiding, or Undergraduate Research

Tell us more about yourself!
I have an upcoming internship in the Manufacturing and Quality Department of Eli Lilly. My favorite thing to eat on campus are the Poke Bowls at Kung Fu Tea. My favorite coffee shop is Cafe Paradiso.

Priya Rao

Senior, Chemical Engineering
priyakr2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CH6

CLCV-115 Greek and Roman Mythology! It's always fun to bring up in conversations, and the material was so interesting!

Contact me if you are interested in...
joining a sorority, studying abroad, imposter syndrome, career advice, time management, and anything else that's on your mind!

Tell us more about yourself!
My fun fact is that I studied abroad in Denmark my sophomore year! This summer (and last summer) I interned at Stepan which is a chemical manufacturing company headquartered in Northbrook, IL.

Rhea Joshi

Senior, Chemical Engineering
rjoshi32@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section CH8

Chem 203 and Chem 205 because I love exploring theory/applying it through experimentation in laboratory courses.

Contact me if you are interested in...
pursuing a Co-op during your undergraduate years, joining Kappa Theta Tau, getting a job on campus, being a learning assistant, or getting involved in undergraduate research

Tell us more about yourself!
I've been vegan close to 7 years now! My favorite places to eat are Basil Thai, Oozu Ramen and Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant. I've been part of Kappa Theta Tau Professional Engineering Fraternity since my freshman year and it's been a great community to have throughout my time at UIUC.