Bioengineering ELAs

Meet your Bioengineering ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

Ashley Sung

Senior, Bioengineering
asung8@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BI1

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
ENG 199 was a course based on developing professional and leadership skills for first-year women engineering students. This course was run by WIE, it never brought me stress, helped me to make friends (in-person class following regulations during pandemic), and always made sure the students' wellness came first.

Contact me if you are interested in...
learning about being a BIOE ambassador, talk about student employment experiences, or volunteering (UIUC affiliated and off-campus/non-affiliated opportunities)

Tell us more about yourself!
During the weekend right before fall semester starts, there are two events that freshmen should be involved in. The first is Quad Day, which is on the Sunday. Go and get Illini (and other RSO) free merch; most of all, check out the RSOs and opportunities there. Second, participate in Illini Frenzy activities. You don't have to go to every activity they have, pick and choose so you don't tire yourself out. However, most activities are made for you to have fun with friends, make new friends, and explore campus grounds.

Brendan O'Rourke

Junior, Bioengineering
bjo5@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BI2

My favorite class was Biomedical Data Analytics (BIOE 198). It is a replacement credit for Intro to Computer Science (CS 101) only offered to first-year Bioengineering students. It was a small class of about a dozen people. Instead of exams, we had biweekly coding assignment where we were also taught how to use statistical analyses, manipulate noisy data, and produce good scientific writing. The class was taught by the founder of the department; I left every lecture fully understanding the material and how it applies to the real world.

Contact me if you are interested in...
medical research, studying abroad, outreach events, or becoming more involved with Grainger College of Engineering

Tell us more about yourself!
Freshman year I joined Biomedical Engineering Society. Since then, I've been to two national conferences and have a role on the executive board.

I am involved in two research labs; one focuses on improving health literacy of the general public, while the other focuses on redesigning the pulse oximeter to work with all skin pigmentations. Through these experiences, I've landed multiple internships. This summer, I've decided to take up a role with Universidad Comillas Pontifical in Spain.

Lucy Nash

Junior, Bioengineering
lnash4@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BI3

My favorite class that I took freshman year was CHEM 104 because it helped me grow an appreciation for and a confidence in chemistry! I ended up liking the class so much that I chose to get a chemistry minor in addition to my degree.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Undergraduate research, biomedical engineering, being a lab assistant, or greek life

Tell us more about yourself!
I have a black belt in karate!

I do research in the Bioacoustics Research Laboratory in the Beckman Institute. In the lab, I am responsible for mammalian cell culture and performing ultrasound imaging.

Isabella Lebovic

TBA, Bioengineering
lebovic2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BI4

TBA

Contact me if you are interested in...
TBA

Tell us more about yourself!
TBA

Maddie Szkwarek

Senior, Bioengineering
mgs9@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BI5

My favorite class I took freshman year was BIOE 120. It was a great way to learn about what is currently being explored in the bioengineering industry and how the different tracks at UIUC align with these topics.

Contact me if you are interested in...
SWE, A.O.E., research, internships, being a lab assistant, Technology & Management minor

Tell us more about yourself!
I like to cook and bake. My favorite place to eat is The Bread Company!

I was a part of URAP last year, which is a program geared towards students with little to no previous research experience. It was a great way to gain research experience in an area I was interested in and I was able to present my work at the Undergraduate Research Symposium.

Mattie Thoele

Senior, Bioengineering
mthoele3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section BI6

My favorite class freshman year was CHEM 104: General Chemistry II!

Contact me if you are interested in...
campus jobs, internships, or being a teaching assistant!

Tell us more about yourself!
My favorite spot on campus is Caffe Bene! I have interned as a R&D intern at Procter & Gamble for the past two summers!