Aerospace Engineering ELAs

Meet your Aerospace Engineering ELAs! Feel free to reach out and introduce yourself.

Nanya Meka

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
navyasm2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE1

What was your favorite class you took freshman year and why?
My favorite class was Astronomy 100! Astronomy has always been of interest to me, and the course provided the perfect introduction to the subject. By the end, I felt like I had a very solid foundation for different topics in astronomy that I could pursue further. Plus, the interactive stories used to teach the content made it fun and engaging.

Contact me if you are interested in...
WIllinois Space Society, Engineering greek life

Tell us more about yourself!
I joined the Illinois Space Society, in which I am involved with the large-rocketry project—Spaceshot—and the business team!

My favorite place to eat is Oozu ramen.

Ana Bojinov

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
aboji2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE2

My favorite class I took my freshman year was BCS 115 - South Slavic Cultures. This is a gen-ed about Eastern Europe with a focus on former Yugoslavia. This was my favorite class because I am Bulgarian and getting to meet other people who were slavic/Balkan really made me feel part of a community. We also watched movies from the region which was fun!

Contact me if you are interested in...
Illinois Space Society!

Tell us more about yourself!
For freshmen with meal plans I really recommend going to "Field of Greens" dining hall, it's vegetarian and has a really good fresh fruit selection. It's also a good place to get work done.

One of my favorite spots is Japan House, when the cherry blossoms bloom in the spring it is beautiful there.

Luke O'Donnell

TBA, Aerospace Engineering
erne2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE3

TBA

Contact me if you are interested in...
TBA

Tell us more about yourself!
TBA

Ashish Dhanalakota

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
ashishd4@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE4

My favorite class from my freshman year was AE 140, the aerospace CAD class. I really enjoy 3D modelling, and while learning NX was a challenge, I found it to be very fun.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Illinois Space Society, undergraduate research opportunities, resume/ cover letter review, the CS and/or Math minor

Tell us more about yourself!
A must-do freshman activity is on a day when you have a lot of time, walk around campus, and go check out buildings that you would never otherwise visit! There are so many buildings in which you will never have classes or never have a need to go to, so exploring is the best way to find out all the facilities and opportunities available to you on campus! Plus, it's a lot of fun!

My favorite spot on campus is the brand new Aerolounge on the second floor of Talbot. Everyone there is so helpful and friendly, and it's a nice environment to study in.

Rohini Ramesh

Senior, Aerospace Engineering
rohinir3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE5

My favorite class I took my freshman year was AE 140 which is a CAD class. I really enjoyed it because I got to learn a new software, which provided me with skills that I have used in RSOs and at internships.

Contact me if you are interested in...
A short study abroad experience, joining engineering council and the illinois space society, and getting an internship!

Tell us more about yourself!
I joined the Illinois Space Society my freshman year and have continued with it for the past 3 years! The Illinois Space Society is an organization of space enthusiants, we have 5 technical project that range from rockets and propulsion to creating an astronaut tool and creating a habitat on Mars. We also do educational outreach where we go to different schools and teach students about space!

This past winter I went to South Africa for 2 weeks with the aerospace and electrical engineering department. It was an awesome experience I got to learn about the South African culture, met aerospace companies and met students in my department.

Nicole Orloff

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
norloff2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE6

Freshman year, my two favorite classes were AE100 and AE199. AE100 was the intro to aerospace class and AE199 is the Design, Build, Fly course. Aerospace students don't really take aerospace classes until junior year. These classes gave me a hint of aerospace-specific content among my many general education, math, and physics classes. I really enjoyed these two, as they are project-based and helped me make a lot of friends.

Contact me if you are interested in...
RSOs, social life, or any advice that I wish I knew as a freshman!

Tell us more about yourself!
A fun fact about myself is that I am a twin! I have a twin brother that is also in school, but not at UIUC.

During my freshman year, I joined Women in Aerospace (WIA) and Design, Build, Fly (DBF). I am still a part of both RSOs, as an executive board member of WIA and a lead of DBF. Both of these clubs have introduced me to many of my current friends and I highly recommend finding an RSO that's right for you!

Kabir Cheema

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
kcheema2@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE7

Introduction to Rocketry was my favorite class because the entire class focused on developing a 5-foot-tall model rocket from the ground up, which included learning the design, manufacturing, and testing processes that engineers go through in industry. On top of that, we had a rocket launch near the end of the semester, and it was extremely rewarding to see all my hard work from the semester in action during that launch.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Autonomy and Controls Research, Aerospace Clubs, or doing personal technical projects

Tell us more about yourself!
I changed my name from Avi to Kabir in 5th grade, and I'm still not entirely sure why!

The best places to eat on campus are Bangkok Thai and Manolo's Pizza.

Grant Cho

Senior, Aerospace Engineering
sc82@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE8

My favorite class I took freshman year was AE 100. In this class we got to experience what aerospace engineering is like and for project we got to build model rockets and launch them! Also we got to build gliders and fly them as well. Overall, it was a good experience as a freshman.

Contact me if you are interested in...
Research in general, balancing social life with academics, Engineering Council, and anything that has to do with aerospace!

Tell us more about yourself!
Engineering Council is an RSO I joined freshman year that I am still a part of. We are student government organization that oversees and partners with other engineering RSO's on campus. We hold many events that bring Grainger students and its communities together. Currently I am the director of Engineering Outreach Bureau under Engineering Council and I give prospective and admitted students a little taste of what engineering is like at Grainger.

Atishi Porwal

Junior, Aerospace Engineering
aporw3@illinois.edu | LinkedIn | Section AE9

AE 100 was my favorite class freshman year because I made friends in that class. Building a rocket and glider with my friends was really fun and I enjoyed going through the process of engineering design!

Contact me if you are interested in...
ISS, the Innovation LLC, and/or having a job while in school!

Tell us more about yourself!
Fun fact: I've visited 32/50 states in the U.S.
I joined ISS (Illinois Space Society) my freshman year and worked on technical projects throughout my college career. Currently, I'm part of Spaceshot, the large rocketry project!"